Cob A Test

Mary S. Miller a0007086 at airmail.net
Thu Jun 11 21:45:41 CDT 1998

Bear with me folks.  I have started my own little test of the fibrous
cement.

Here's my recipe that I used:
1 Large section of newspaper, slightly shredded
   I didn't count the pages but I should have
3 lbs road base screenings
   Yes, this isn't sand but it was all I had available on the place.
Left-overs from putting in a new floor in the goat barn.  Next time I'll use
builders sand and only 1lb of it.
1 lb Cement (I believe now that this was too much cement; I'll use 4oz next
time)

Allen, are those weight or volume ratios?

I mixed the shredded paper up by itself with a LOT of water as much as I
could using a 2X2 with 4 twelve-penny nails through it, one for each side.
When there were not any more obvious strips of paper left, I added the
screenings and the cement and kept stirring.  And stirring...and stirring.
Bring on that mixing machine!

A hardware cloth (1/2 inch) draining area was put over bucket to catch the
water.

I poured the super paper-mache mixture out onto the hardware cloth a little
at a time so that it would sorta clump and not run through.  A good portion
of the screenings had settled in the bottom of the bucket around the edges.
I did pour this out onto the top of the rest of it, then formed a rough
brick.  It appears that the brick will be almost in layers (mixing problems)
of larger pieces of paper on the bottom up to smaller pieces on top and then
a gritty mixture on top (the screenings).   The brick size right now, still
dripping, is 2" thick, 8" x 12".

I hope this one turns out as well as Allen's did so keep your fingers
crossed.

Yes, I have ordered the magazine, Earth Quarterly, and also the first issue
with the fibrous cement article. But I just couldn't wait to try this. You
know how it is.

Does anyone know anything about Pumice-Crete in Taos? They are using pumice
rock and cement poured into forms. Just thought I'd ask.

Take care everyone,
Mary *wishing I was up east at the building symposium* Miller