Cob hemp in cob

Anne McMahon amcmahon at lm.net.au
Tue Jun 16 04:50:21 CDT 1998

Hello folks,

I have been told that in the early days hemp was used as the fibre in cob.
Are there any signs of this in any of the old buildings? Does anyone know
anything about it's use? Was it used in the same quantities as we use straw
today? Were the fibres left long? How was it prepared for use?

It is a much stronger fibre than straw and I can imagine that it may have
been prepared quite differently.

Pat - well done. I have a council fellow visiting me tomorrow to look at my
cob wall so he know what its like. There is a possibility of some cob
seating being built down near the river, the area is being developed at the
moment. I find that Council are not aware of many of the different building
techniques and by sitting down and talking with them about cob for example
they have the chance to learn.

Hopefully we will develop a project and the community will be involved in
the building.

Thanks Anne

PS - it's DAMMED cold cobbing in the winter!

--
Calling from the Lower Murray Network, service of Noel & Friends.
Email info at lm.net.au or visit http://www.lm.net.au/ for more information!