Cob A Test--Fibrous Cement--Hypertufa?

Margaret_Kosco Margaret_Kosco at gsdl23.gsdl.com
Fri Jun 12 08:00:04 CDT 1998

Hi Cob folks-

I am also very interested in this fibrous cement.  The recipe reminds me
of the hypertufa recipe that I read about in a Fine Homebuilding
gardening article.  It was a mix of roughly one third each of sand,
cement, and peat moss.  You can then use a mold (such as a plastic lined
box) to make garden planters-either huge things, or something smaller
containers that you could lift.  The picture of these planters looked
like carved stone water troughs, or japanese water basins, or just
shallow bird baths. After the mix has set and before it is totally
solid, you un-mold it and use a wire brush to roughen up the outside so
it looks more like carved stone/granite than a molded cement lawn
ornament.  Having the peat moss in it lets it grow moss eventually on
the outer surface for a mossy effect.   I'm sure the peat moss would be
more expensive than the newspapers, but I thought I would mention this
recipe for those who like to do thorough research.

I am also interested in wattle and daub, and was not able to find much
on it.  I am planning to use wooden pallets for the walls of a garden
shed, and then I was originally going to use wattle and daub in fill,,
with a plaster, mud stucco surface-but I was much more attracted to the
Leichlembaum method of straw/light clay fill that Paul Valerio told us
about a couple months ago.  It is lighter and better insulating than
straight mud which is the daub in the wattle.

I am also building a studio and I want to frame it out with bamboo
timbers.  I have access to bamboo that is 4-5 inches in diameter, and I
have been researching joinery methods, and I just took a 4 day bamboo
furniture workshop that really helped me to understand how to work with
round, hollow posts and beams.

Margaret
Asheville, NC