Cob hemp in cob

HandyM2 at aol.com HandyM2 at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 14:26:21 CDT 1998

<< How about some more noxious canidates like Knapweed, Dalmation Toadflax,
 etc.  I'm always looking for a use for those so folks will rush out and
 pluck them from the roadsides and make something good from a non-native
 pest plant.  Seems like these could work equally well in cob or Fiberous
 cement!?! - Don >>

I suspect that given we are discussing a OLD building technique used by
farmers and such to provide shelter (feel free to correct me if I am in error,
Ok? <G>) that they probably used ANY large noxious plants as fibre in this
effort.  BTW noxious is often defined by a gardner or farmer as any plant with
out a current use.  <G>

My point is two fold.  First I personally cannot tell one woody roadside weed
from the next so the above examples are a bit moot for me.  If anybody has
well done books to correct this deficency then I will glady read up.  <G>

The second is a plea for folks to use what is at hand.  I am looking into
using the Southern Bane plant of Kudzu as a fibre to add to my cobb
experments.  The older phrase of hauling "Coals to Newcastle" comes to mind
when folks are chatting about ading Hemp etal to the cob.

I may have missed some postings about Fibreous Cement but from what I have
read on this list (and printed out for my building inspector) it sounds
promising.  The building inspector is willing to allow me some expermental
efforts thusly.  Rather progressive for South Carolina!  <G>  So in short I
need more data and information sites for this concept.  Seems I can get a hold
of a LOT of newspaper residue and such for the hauling.  HELP????

Thanks!

Michael