Cob Fibrous Cement & How To Join ESSA/ earthship listserv (reply)

Don Stephens dsteph at tincan.tincan.org
Wed Jun 24 12:23:48 CDT 1998

Craig,

I agree, I'd love to see some hard, reliable test data!  If this stuff is
basicly wood fiber, sand, cement and, once it drys, some air where the
water was, then one might expect practically no R-value from the cement,
sand or dirt and about i i/2 per inch for the wood fiber.  Add a little
air and it might creap up toward 2, but I'd doubt it gets above that.
Still it might just be a good "brown-coat" for low-R stuff like cob in
colder climates - put up the cob with short sticks projecting to tie into
the F/C stucco, slap on several layers of F/C to build up 8" - 10" of it
and then finish stucco, for a wall with a high mass, an R-value of ~ 20,
and 0 infiltration! I wonder.... Don