Cob Re: Status From Mauk

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Wed Jun 24 12:17:20 CDT 1998

Just a little update on what is going on despite the heat here in
Middle GA.

The first news is some of the bags have reached the point due to UVH
rays, that they fall apart if touched.
It doesn't seem to be a real problem but I have started a big push to
place at least one coat of plaster on all the walls.

The plaster I'm using is a basic clay, sand and lime (the wrong kind
of course) and I'm adding a very small amount of cement as they will
be exposed to weather until I get the roof on. It looks real
nice. It's a very light coat of plaster, basically enough to keep the
sun from eating up any more of the bags than it has.

I did notice the Cal-Earth bags seem to hold up longer in the sun
than the "rice" bags I have.

I'm still struggling with the roof design. I have realized that I
don't like straight lines or even surfaces. The result is that
the best bet for me is to go with some kind of masonary roof. I'll
probably use the carpet and cement but still need to design the
form/frame.

Given that I'm using a masonary roof, I'm now looking at adding air
space between the ceiling and roof for air flow and a solid roof with
insulation sandwiched between two surfaces.

I have photos in the process of being scanned. (before the plaster
push) Hopefully they will be  posted within the next week.

Pat

"There is No Hope, but I may be wrong."