Cob Re: Masonary for wet locations

tvoivozd tvoivozd at roanoke.infi.net
Sun Jun 28 06:08:40 CDT 1998

Craig Hull wrote:

> What materials, other than cement, are suitable for structural use in wet
> locations? For example, in building a water tank or swimming pool or
> spillway. I'm not asking about waterproof but about structural integrety.
> Depending on where we end up and the availability of suitable clay, I
> would like to use eathern plasters for the strawbale house we hope to
> build someday. But none of the concrete alternatives I've considered seem
> suitable for other applications that involved extended contact with water.

tvoivozhd>>>fired clay is, and has been used for some thousands of years as a
material which maintains structural integrity as a domestic water vessel.
They were rarely used in large sizes (over six feet in height) and these were
normally intended for other materials (oil, grain) than water, however Nader
Khalil has made ceramic-interior houses and written a book on the subject, so
if someone was insistent on employing a material other than reinforced
concrete they can certainly do so.  Wander off to the nearest library or look
up Khalil's website.