Cob Carpet where no carpet's been before

Rog rogb at net2000.com.au
Mon Jun 29 22:13:42 CDT 1998

> Rog, our mate down under <G> (Always wanted to say that...>VBG<)

Glad to be able to provide the opportunity for you.
If you'd like, you can even bid me a passing "g'day".  :)

Re:  Carpet in the roof
>>  Anyone got any suggestions or obvious things that I've overlooked?

> Do you or any of your family or friends have allergys?  Such a
construction of
> dirty throw away carpet would be a wonderful source of allergens and a
> excellent mold/mildew growth medium.

Yah, valid point.
I'm hoping that it'll be a drier environment than that -- with the
exception of the occasional leak from the fibreglass above (which should be
spotted quickly) it should be pretty dry.  It will only ever get as wet as
the room inside.  So that'd mean the odd bit of steam and that's about all.
I'm going way back to basics with a simple one-room design and no
traditional 'wet' areas inside.  Also, there'll be a slow-combustion cooker
running through most of the damp season.  In my experience it's normally
quite hard to keep enough moisture in the air with that particular form of
heating.

> Also I might wonder how you would evict any rodents and such that moved
into
> that wonderful pest Condominium.

Prevention is better than the cure.  I'm going to cob all the way to the
top roof layer and my exterior coat is going to be 10% concrete -- if a
rodent got through that I'd feel kind of obligated to then them stay for at
least a short while, purely out of respect.
But it's a good point -- I'd not really thought that aspect through in
great detail.

> Perhaps a serious cleaning and long term poison to keep pests and such
out
> could be done but the cost in effort and worse, health of the inhabitants
> seems to be a poor choice.

A serious cleaning is definately warranted.  I was thinking of soaking the
carpet for "a while" in a cloudy ammonia mix then letting it dry
thoroughly.

> Recently some carpet was recycled in my area by a family.  Seems all of
them
> fell sick to a serious illness, seems after extensive medical testing and
> treatment someone checked the house for enviormental problems.
>
> Seems the like new thrown away carpet had been spilled upon by some nasty
> chemical stuff (exactly what is still not in public knowledge).

Yike!  Thanks for the anecdote.

> Free can be deadly expensive.

So what are you saying?  Even we beggers must be choosy?

> Just a thought from a Hospital HAZMAT Safety Officer.

Appreciate it.

Cheers, Rog.