Cob construction in Tennessee??

Jeanne Leimkuhler jleimkuh at interart.com
Tue Jun 30 13:36:13 CDT 1998

> Does anyone know if cob houses have been built in Tennessee --- and
>if so, what do the building codes there (especially in the rural areas
>around Chattanooga) require as far as foundations are concerned?  Is this
>even a viable concept to try and submit to the local authorities for a
>building permit?

There ARE cob structures in Tennessee. I don't live there, but we will be
attending a workshop near Chattanooga in a couple of weeks where they are
building a Cob/Strawbale/Timberframe building. The workshop is taking place
at the Sequatchie Valley Institute, near Whitwell, 45 min. NW of
Chatanooga. They may be able to tell you about codes in Tennessee. Contact
Samantha Pearson at sam at envirolink.org. She is handling registration for
the workshop.

I know that they have also built at least one cob structure at The Farm in
Summertown, TN.

Glad to see more cobbers moving to the Midwest. Good luck.
Jeanne