Cob intro

John Schinnerer JohnS at STLabs.com
Tue Jul 7 14:23:51 CDT 1998

Aloha,

Welcome to the list!

	I would be interested in learning anything you know about materials
and methods for tropical and near-tropical climates - especially uses of
"non-traditional" (for U.S.) woods like mangrove, mango, guava, palm, etc.
for structure framing.  Also anything about palm and grass thatching &
weaving.

	>One question on cob and straw: how good are they at withstanding
	>rodents and other burrowing animals?

	Cob is too dense for burrowing animals - plus if it is off the
ground on a good foundation they will not have direct access from the ground
anyhow.  Straw might need more careful protection...

	John Schinnerer