Cob Wood

Bob Bolles bbolles at cts.com
Sat Jul 18 10:30:38 CDT 1998

Speireag

>     How can you safely use such wood?  How do you get rid of pine-borers?
> Do carpenter ants vacate after the wood is dry, or once they're started
> into green wood, are they ensconced and must be poisoned out (or
boraxed).

Commercially, such critters are effectively killed in the wood-drying kiln.
Logs would take a long time to dry, depending on the size and type of
lumber.
I have been fairly effective in using a home-made kiln
Pick a sunny locarion
Separate the lumber (logs) with wood strips
Wrap the entire pile with plastic
A fan blowing from end-to-end helps remove the moisture
The heat will kill the little buggers, though I have no idea how long it
will take.
Bob