Cob Off Topic: A Little About FC

Paul & Mary Salas chansey at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 20 20:34:09 CDT 1998

Mary S. Miller wrote:

sniped

> My poor weed-eater is almost dead and I didn't even build one whole wall.

Way to go Mary !!!!  The list is definitely in need of much more "real
world" hands-on experience about what it takes to build something,
especially when one goes beyond batching an FC brick out of the kitchen
blender.

What's the next apparatus? Have you been out in the garage eyeing that
22" blade on your Murray lawnmower? Let's see, if I could just.....oh,
no, no, no, not the V-8 again!!!

All kidding aside, for those who have not worked in the "wet trades"
(plaster, concrete and masonry) or experienced making several thousand
adobes by hand, can not begin to phantom the volume and quantity (mass
production) of material that it takes to build something. Mary's use of
the weed eater was the first step in recognizing that more material was
required to be produced and more importantly, the need for more HP,
torque and the dreaded RPM's it takes to move the material. Some
mentioned the need to puree the material.  The only way to accomplish
the task is with more RPM's.

Thanks Mary, it's refreshing to read about someone actually doing
something rather than endless theory discussions from those who do
nothing and ask for everyone else to prove them right or wrong.

Paul