Cob Lime dust

Mike Carter cobcrew at sprynet.com
Tue Jul 21 23:28:00 CDT 1998

>At 09:36 AM 7/21/98 -0500, you (Jeanne Leimkuhler) wrote:
>>Does anyone have information or experience with adding Limestone dust to
>>concrete, mortar or cob? It is a bit like gravel and can be had for
pennies
>>here in southern Indiana. We are thinking that it could add strength to
the
>>concrete and some water resistance.
>>Adding it to cob seems more problematic. It might continue to expand and
>>contract if it absorbs water. Is it more like the clay or the sand?

We have used "dry screenings" from crushed local limestone for all of our
Cob.  Engineering tests showed that this made a much stronger mix than sand
alone.  I am convinced that the "dry screenings" as they are called here
have properties of both sand AND clay depending on particle size - when wet
and tamped by itself, it forms a hard surface that even fire ants won't go
into but doesn't crack.  We also use this in small amounts in all of our
custom "Cob mortar" mixes.

Mike Carter