Cob Lime dust

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Jul 22 03:02:19 CDT 1998

>We have used "dry screenings" from crushed local limestone for all of our
>Cob.  Engineering tests showed that this made a much stronger mix than sand
>alone.  I am convinced that the "dry screenings" as they are called here
>have properties of both sand AND clay depending on particle size - when wet
>and tamped by itself, it forms a hard surface that even fire ants won't go
>into but doesn't crack.  We also use this in small amounts in all of our
>custom "Cob mortar" mixes.
>
>Mike Carter

Mike is the wetness combining with the lime dust turing this back into
limestone? probably so...did you have this compression tested
professionally and can you post the results?

are the custom cob mixes for the base layer? doorways or? where is custom
cob most usually needed?

thanks for your info!

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build it themselves'
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/elkriver.html
Now offering Master Card/Visa purchasing.