Cob Re: fibrous cement - K-VALUE?!

Patmon, Steve SPatmon at hdrinc.com
Fri Jul 24 08:31:47 CDT 1998

Hi Epko,

A k-value or factor is relative to the thermal conductivity of a material
from one side to the other.  A long definition follows;

Thermal conductivity:
The rate of tranfer of heat by conduction; the amount of heat per unit of
time per unit area that is conducted through a slab of unit thickness of a
material if the difference in temperature between opposite faces is one
degree of temperature; a property of the material itself, usually
represented by the letter k and called a k factor.

Therefore in cob application it is the amount of heat transferred from the
outside to the inside in a matter of time.  But it is relative to the
thickness of material.  How long does it take the temperature to be
transferred through a material thickness with only a loss of one degree of
temperature.  Please note that in my field it is rare that we refer to the
k-value.  Mostly because insulations relate their qualities based upon
resistance rather than conductance.  In this case the manufacturer is giving
you this value relative to the r and u values.  They are relative to each
other.  You should normally be able to find a k-value with most construction
materials which have some type of mass ie., CMU block, Concrete, Cement, Cob
(if it ever becomes massed produced).

Hope it helped

Steve