Cob Re: CINVA Ram

Buzz Burrell buzz at diac.com
Fri Aug 7 10:39:56 CDT 1998

I think the "Cinva" ram was invented in Columbia in 1952, used in
international aid projects, and was made popular by its continued listing
in the legendary Whole Earth Catalogs.  I don't know where this model may
be currently found.  It's like "Kleenix" - there are many earth block
presses, but because of the WEC, people have continued to call them all
"Cinva Rams".

I do know that lever-action earth block presses, which is what a Cinva
ram is, are in active use all over the world.  The Earthbuilders
Encyclopedia lists 14 different names used in different countries.  I
have personally seen models that were made in France, India, and
Australia (and none of which were mentioned in the EE).

Compressed Earth Block is a not-uncommon construction method in the SW.
Almost all the presses are hydraulic rather than lever-operated, and are
of varying sizes.  The big ones churn out 5 blocks per minute, are loaded
using a backhoe, and are expensive to buy.  Most people just hire the
operator to come and make the blocks on site;  they are paid per block
laid (not made).  This is actually a more efficient use of time and
materials than buying a press yourself.  Block sizes vary, but the most
common is 8" x 12" x 4" (smaller than adobe).

Here's some addresses (don't use the word "Cinva Ram" unless you are
doing an historical re-enactment;  ask for a "lever-action earth block
press").

CRATerre
Centre Simone Signoret
Bolte Postale 53
F-38090 Villefontaine
FRANCE

This is *by far* the leading organization for all forms of earth
construction.  The name means the International Center for Earth
Construction.  They are one of the members of BASIN (Building Advisory
Service and Information Network), which is a European consortium of
Appropriate
Technology groups, which is also fabulous.   Info on them may be
requested at the same time.

SKAT, Swiss Centre for Development Cooperation in Technology and
Management
Vadianstrasse 42
CH-9000 St. Gallen
Switzerland

Same as above.

Development Alternatives
Tara Nirman Kendra
B-32, Institutional Area, New Mehrauli Rd
New Delhi 110016
INDIA

This is the best AT organization I've ever seen.  One of their projects
was to design a earth block press and sell it at cost all over India to
reduce the consumption of fuel used to make bricks (the most common
construction method in rural areas).  I went in thier office - one room
has a large barrel vault ceiling made entirely of unreinforced blocks
with no motar.

Earthbuilders Encyclopedia (and)
Southwest Solaradobe School
POB 153
Bosque, NM  87006

These guys aren't great (all their publications are primarily paid ads
and appear to be produced by a 10th grade journalism class), but they do
know their craft, and its the only game in town for general info.

Adobe International
POB 1284
Grants, NM  87020
505.287.3961

Pacific Adobe
13207 Hemrick Ave
Sylmar, CA 91342
Voice 818.362.0235  fax 818.362.6132

The above two companies are the leading manufacturers of hydraulic
machines, but might know who manufacturers a lever-action.

Also:
http://www.greenbuilder.com/sourcebook/earthmaterials.html

Mother Earth News (April/May 1996) had an article about building a
hydraulic ram for around $100. I think it is similar to the Cinva.

I also heard of a company in Sri Lanka that manufactures manual soil
block making machines such as Cinva Ram.

You may contact :
		Samuel. Sons & Co. Ltd.
		Civil Eng. Department
		164 Messenger street
		PO Box 46
		Colombo 12
		Sri Lanka
		phone:	+94-1-432 341
		fax:	+94-1-448 068

The Iris Catalog sells a book called "Earth Constuction: A Comprehensive
Guide." and it shows about a dozen different kinds of block presses. It's
chock full of technical details and illustrations. While it uses the
"comprehensive" in the title, it focuses mostly on soil issues and earth
blocks of various kinds. There's a small section on rammed earth. You can
see more information at:

     www.oikos.com/irisinfo/catalog/books/earthconst.html

The authors, Hugo Houben and Hubert Guillard, are with CRATerre-EAG in
Grenoble, France.

(Much of the above information was compiled from previous discussions).

Buzz Burrell
Bolder Building