Cob Carpet where no carpet's been before

Yvonne Vana stiched at gte.net
Sun Aug 16 21:46:35 CDT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: doug a scofield <doug_scof at juno.com>
To: coblist at deatech.com <coblist at deatech.com>
Date: Sunday, August 16, 1998 7:13 PM
Subject: Re: Cob Carpet where no carpet's been before

>Just a comment about using "used carpet", old newspapers and old   tires
>for building materials:
>
> I read all these posts about re-using this or that, and my most
>frequent response is . . . "Hey, not me!"   We have taken great pains to
>get RID of all that kind of "stuff" out of our house.
>
> We (my wife and I) are interested in COB. We take an interest in
>recycled materials. We believe in the "sustainable" lifestyle.  We
>disdain the waste of modern technologies.
>
> We also disdain the toxic chemicals that modern technology has
>put into the many products out there. Due to my wife's many health
>problems, we have changed our lifestyle so that we now use mostly
>natural, and simple things for everything we do. This has helped to
>reduce indoor pollution. We have come to the conclusion that the indoor
>air quality is one very vital consideration for home design.
> Once you have built a home, you will not want to discover (by
>getting sick, or by causing one of your family members to get sick) that
>you need to re-build or refurbish the home to help solve health problems.
>If I were building a home for my family using COB and other
>earth-friendly techniques, I would not use newpaper in the walls, nor
>would I use carpet for insulation. These might be OK for a shed or other
>outbuilding - especially if the air is never trapped inside. Even though
>COB breathes, I would always wonder, if my wife's problems were to worsen
>again, that such potential pollutants might in fact be the cause.  When
>chronic illness sets in due to pollution that weakened the body's
>internal energy, no amount of monetary savings makes this bad decision
>(to allow pollution when other non-polluting options were available)
>worth it.
> Although my wife is not completely well, she is feeling better
>than she was a few years ago. Beginning about six years ago, we
>eliminated from our house the following stuff (and with only a few
>exceptions, none of them have drifted back into our home):
>
>-   Newspaper (formaldehyde in the ink)
>-   carpet (formaldehyde in the fibers, glue in the backing - foam
>backing is also emitting toxins - carpets harbor bacteria, mold and bugs)
>-   vinyl stuff (furniture, linoleum, etc - these give a continual
>release of toxic gases, especially when the temperature is warm - as the
>material "gasses off" it becomes brittle.
>-   foam rubber (the foam from the 1960s might be OK, but the stuff they
>make now is quite toxic, according to the books we have read)
>-   polyester and acrylic (clothing made from these really bothers my
>wife - she can actually feel pain at the finger tips when her fingers
>touch it)
>-   plywood, chipboard and wafer board (the glue in these is toxic)
>
>I would add to this list things we refuse to use in any future indoor
>projects:
> - wood stain (oil-based)
> - varnish (we use shellac instead)
> [...]

Doug, and wife,
I agree with your concerns re:air polutants.  I have lupus and severe
asthma, so my family and I are very careful what we use in our home , and
also what we wear, and the sinsitivities I have with the characteristics of
the concerns we have.
Not all of the products, bi-products of modern technologies.  We also seek
out green living, products to avoid similar symptoms..
We are living in the pacific northwest also, and are striving to build a cob
structure without gas
emmiting products. So far in design only phase and are researching very
carefully all options regarding building, and furniture and tiles  etc.
So I value your concerns and opinions along these lines. re:cob building..
Yvonne Vana