Cob "A Pattern Language"

Jeffrey Kirsch jkirsch at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 17 10:17:42 CDT 1998

I just got my hands on "A Pattern Language", Oxford University
Press, and all I can say is "wow!".

I'm sure a lot of you have read this, and there is a knowing smile on
your faces right now. This book is most enlightening. I feel like I've
gone through life knowing things weren't quite right, but not
knowing why. This book has gone a long way to pointing out the
"whys".

If you haven't seen this book, make a trip to the library or
bookstore. This is especially true if you are planning on moving
and/or building. The authors will help you avoid design mistakes
that wouldn't be obvious, yet would make you vaguely
uncomfortable in your new abode. Also very helpful in finding that
new neighborhood. Some places just aren't very hospitable, and
this book will tell you why. And for the really ambitious, it has
design guidelines for communities and subcultures (cob
community anyone?)

-Jeffrey