Cob a cob code mission for all cobbers day

Otherfish at aol.com Otherfish at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 00:20:49 CDT 1998

to howard
true - the historic record is encouraging & evidences the durability & long
life of some cob buildings - the "cob" evidence of which I'm aware comes
pimarily from england, europe & new zealand - with new zealand being the most
demonstrative re cob & earthquakes - so I am not saying that cob is untried -
far from it - it is very impressive
however research in adobe buildings in california (seismic zone 4 - the most
severe) has shown that almost all adobes that have undergone an earthquake
have been damaged & are timebombs waiting to fail the next time around - only
the most massive walled adobes have survived unscathed.  How the relativly
thin walled  "oregon" cob as developed & taught by the Cob Cottage folks (god
love'em) is going to actually do in a California ( or elsewhere) earthquake is
anybody's guess right now - all I am saying is lets put the proof to the
pudding before the pudding sticks it to us.
anything less is gambling
the gambler may not care if he looses - but
the innocent who happens to be there when things go awry (if that's in fact
what will happen - we don't know) does not have the option of that choice.
to endanger others when we might do otherwise is foolish and irresponsible.

cob on
john fordice
THE COB CODE PROJECT
otherfish at aol.com