Cob/recycling/communities

Paul Valerio valeri at io.com
Tue Aug 18 18:38:36 CDT 1998

spencers wrote:

> As we journey out everynight in search of used/discarded materials to
> use in the building of our cob home, we discus the issue of
> "Where,Where,Where" so much that many times we end up riding in silence.

Wow, we must be travelling in parallel universes or something!

>  We want to own our piece of dirt. 'nuff said on that.

Amen to that brother (or sister).  I once owned a condominium, which I
expect is very similar to a commune in terms of co-ownership of common
grounds, and believe me when I say it was a horrible experience.  Private
property is the only way to go, with good neighbors being the icing on the
cake.

> Someone mentioned Ghost towns. Sure. Where?

I did, but I don't know where.  But I've seen plenty of small, dying
towns.  I responded to a post of yours a month ago or so and suggested that
you check out central Texas, because of your musical talents, but I didn't
hear back from you.There are a lot of cobbers and baleheads around here,
but as far as I know no organized "community"

> So in theory we could get with some of you on
> this list, start a community of cob somewhere, exist, and be
> neighbors&pals. But is it possible? Really? Or would we just blow steam
> talking?

This is the big dilemma.  I suppose for now most will go it alone, others
will try the communal thing.  What I envision is a small town, just like
any other, except that things are done in an intelligent, sustainable, low
cost, low maintenance fashion so that people will have a healthy living
environment and the time to enjoy it.  And if that could be done, how do
you protect it from would-be developers who would want to come in later and
build parking lots, and Wal-Marts?  You would have to organize a blitzkreig
(is that the word?) so that an entire area could be bought up or else have
some wealthy individual secure the land and agree to sell it only to
like-minded people.Otherwise we'll all be tucked away on a few acres
somewhere like frightened church mice hoping the urban sprawl doesn't get
us too soon.  Maybe I'm being too cynical but you get my point. This is a
big issue. Now I see why I'm so frustrated!!

pv