Cob a cob code mission for all cobbers da

Otherfish at aol.com Otherfish at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 23:17:06 CDT 1998

to chull

I would like to make a few comments your response to my message:

In your message dated 8/18/98 10:00:42 PM, you wrote:

<<Construction is inherently hazzardous. With most all structures there are
periods where there is significant mass in a possition to cause harm
before the whole system is tied together into a stable whole. During these
periods the margin of safety is much much less than with a finished
structure. And bad luck, carelessness, whatever is far more likely to
cause injury than after the structure is complete.>>

Construction can be dangerous - alto the actual construction process is not
what I am refering to when I call for a comprehensive study of cob's
properties.  One of the major structural concerns of cob that needs to be
studied is just what will constitute adequate continuity in a cob building in
an earthquake - so that the building does in fact act as a stable whole when
subjected to seismic forces.  Bad luck & carelessness during construction
aside - if the completed structure is not capable of withstanding the forces
of gravity, wind and earthquakes when it is subjected to them, then it may
suffer a failure and cause injury.   Speculation that a cob building either
will or will not do this ( either stand - or fall) is not enough - if we
choose to  build with cob, then we have a responsibility to KNOW the the
building is safe. - Right now we do not in certainty know this.

<<And each material and method has it's own risks and it's own good saftey
practices. This isn't my field, but the two big risks I've seen are over
confidence and ignorance. For ignorance you can often read unfamiliar with
a new material or method. >>

You have hit the nail on the head: "over confidence and ignorance"... about a
new (to us) material/method are the concern !!!   The solution is obvious -
learn the LIMITS  of the material/ method and then build true to them.

<<So an injury or fatality during construction does not call the safety of
cob into question to any large degree. The big issue is the safety of
finished buildings.>>

You've said it - you are right:
"THE BIG ISSUE IS THE SAFETY OF THE FINISHED BUILDING"
I could not agree more  !!!!

A thorough and rigorous program of testing cob (to establish its' actual
structural limits) which is used to write a section for the building code will
enable anone who so desires to build a SAFE cob building in locations which
are subject to the building codes ( I would guess that this is perhaps 90% of
the N. American population - a lot of potential cob buildings).

This seems to me to be a worthwhile goal

cob on
john fordice
ACCP
otherfish at aol.com