Cob in Snow

PEACE! peace at source.net
Tue Sep 15 17:23:25 CDT 1998

Hello.  Please don't shoot me if these questions have been answered all
ready, but I've dug through the archives and didn't see what I was looking
for.  Doesn't mean they aren't there, just that I'm pretty good at missing
things.

My husband and I are quite excited about the prospect of Cob, but have some
questions about it.  We are investigating, and taking our time, while
learning other subjects to help us become self-sufficent, then we will hunt
out property and get started.

We live in the Sierra Nevada's, and plan to purchase land at a high
elevation (We're mountain goats).  Concerns are:

How does cob fair in mass snow?  Sometimes snow can hang out for a couple
months, and the storms can be pretty radical.  I know we can build extended
eves, but that won't keep the snow away in really raging storms.  Is this a
big concern?

What sort of snow-load can you get from a cob construction?

Can you use most any roofing material?

Are cob barns feasible?

Could a person use cob for all their outbuildings?  Such as a solar house,
hay barn, well house, etc?

What is the best possible two books a person can buy on learning about cob
construction?

Thank you ever so much from the Hollinger family,
Angel and Allen