Cob in Snow

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Sep 15 12:20:05 CDT 1998

>How does cob fair in mass snow?  Sometimes snow can hang out for a couple
>months, and the storms can be pretty radical.  I know we can build extended
>eves, but that won't keep the snow away in really raging storms.  Is this a
>big concern?

CRT____It snows/rains/storms in the UK too, and I dont think it is a
problem for them...

CRT______ this one I dont know I'm sure someone does

CRT________sure, but lotsa work

>Could a person use cob for all their outbuildings?  Such as a solar house,
>hay barn, well house, etc?

CRT_____ sure, but same issue    In Scotland and Wales, and the Orkney
Islands they built  LONG buildings with all the animals at one end to take
advantage of heat radiated by the livestock, and not have to build so many
walls and separate buildings...it was  "fragrant" in those houses.

>What is the best possible two books a person can buy on learning about cob
>construction?

CRT___ both Becky Bees COb Builder's Handbook, and M SMiths CObbers
COmpanion are very similar.

There are some other good reference type books, but they are more costly..

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build'
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/

**1/2 arce gently sloped, wooded land 4 sale in Florissant, CO,
smack in the Rocky Mountain Range, email me if interested**