Cob Re: Beers cause cordwood dreams

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Fri Sep 18 03:33:44 CDT 1998

>Will, I would be Very concerned about the differental settling of the cord
>wood (with Cob mortar) Vis the Cob "Monolithic" exterior.  That and I have not
>heard on this list the awesome bonding strength of essentually mud (high clay
>perhaps <G> but *still* mud) to other material aside from it's self.
>
>I'd suggest a small project wall (properly roofed vs rain) about 10 feet high
>as a test bed.  If it works continue to expand it into a say garden shed.  If
>not then you have not wasted much time or money (same thing to me BTW) and
>still have the firewood after a good washing with a hose.
>
>Just a thought.  BTW Please POST the resluts as so others will not have to
>redo your experence.  Thanks!
>
>Michael

I agree Michael...monolithic means ONE...a plastering of cob over the wood
is a real recipie for a mess...the wood will dry and move, and the cob
won't..causing cracking, etc.  Robs sawdust/lime/ cement ? recipie as
mortar seems to work well...  a waffle cone wall of cob with holes where
wood was, or is, shrinking  sound like much more than a thermal nosebleed
too!

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build'

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/