Cob Re: Beers cause cordwood dreams

HandyM2 at aol.com HandyM2 at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 23:34:55 CDT 1998

Interesting thoughts, perhaps I should start brewing beer again >VBGiddyG<

<< Hi Charmaine & Rog,

 Your thread has got me thinking perhaps if you extend the cob on the
 outside of the cob cordwood the exterior cob would be monolithic.  In
 essence the logs will be embedded into the exterior cob wall as spacers.
 This space would then allow some insulation (straw/sawdust) to keep the
 inside cob wall isolated from the outside. High mass & R value, best of
 both.

 Regards,
 Will >>

Will, I would be Very concerned about the differental settling of the cord
wood (with Cob mortar) Vis the Cob "Monolithic" exterior.  That and I have not
heard on this list the awesome bonding strength of essentually mud (high clay
perhaps <G> but *still* mud) to other material aside from it's self.

I'd suggest a small project wall (properly roofed vs rain) about 10 feet high
as a test bed.  If it works continue to expand it into a say garden shed.  If
not then you have not wasted much time or money (same thing to me BTW) and
still have the firewood after a good washing with a hose.

Just a thought.  BTW Please POST the resluts as so others will not have to
redo your experence.  Thanks!

Michael