Cob cob codes

John Hall hallsoi at netvigator.com
Sun Sep 20 02:49:13 CDT 1998

Otherfish at aol.com wrote:

> to John Hall
> john
> please let me & the coblist know what you find out
> -it will be helpful to see how the folks in Devon deal with the codes issue
> -altho our seismic conditions in California will probably rerquire additional
> structural measures
> -more knowledge is better than less
>
> thanks for the response
> cob on
> john fordice
> THE COB CODE PROJECT
> otherfish at aol.com

OK will make enquiries and send you further details/ links.

On the subject of seismic precautions, I believe this could be
effectively achieved by applying strategically placed, continuous layers
of reinforcement in the cob (eg as a continuous mat immediately above
lintel levels etc.).  The purists might wrangle, but "geogrids" such as
are used for reinforcing fill and road bases etc. could be very
effectively used. This would have the effect of reducing cracking due to
shrinkage effects etc as an added benefit (ie the structure would tend
to shrink as a single unit towards its centre, rather than individual
walls pulling away from one another).

Best Regards,

John.