Cob-Wood and experiments

Rog rogb at net2000.com.au
Sun Sep 27 21:24:03 CDT 1998

> Uwe, and all, I am really pleased with the results ai am getting with the
> Madrone sawdust/woodchips, and clay.  Making a slurry/slip and adding a
bit
> os sand or not, and cement or not, and experimenting I have found the
> materiall performs so well that I like it better than papercrete.  Big
> reason is NO mixer is needed.

Excellent!  I'm glad you've been able to run with it.
I have questions for you...
Since joining the cob-list, my interest has changed (as they do) from
wanting to drop out into the country to wanting to drop out into an
inner-city, high-density intentional-community (nonviolence & consensus
based), housed in a warehouse shell fitted out accordingly.
One of our interests (I've set up a research crew to look into the finer
details of the project) is in doing all the internal building ourselves,
once we purchase a suitable shell.
So anyway, the questions I have relate to cob-wood (love the name, btw) as
internal walls:  Could it be poured into into brick-moulds?  How heavy is
it?  How soundproof is it?
Any hunches appreciated.

> Rog of Australia did us a favor by describing the building he saw!

Which reminds me -- if anyone wants communication with the building I
mentioned (or rather, it's owner/occupiers), I imagine they'd be on an
email address.  I could prolly track it down.

Cheers, Rog.