Cob-Wood and experiments

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Sep 27 18:25:23 CDT 1998

 Rog said:
>So anyway, the questions I have relate to cob-wood (love the name, btw) as
>internal walls:  Could it be poured into into brick-moulds?  How heavy is
>it?  How soundproof is it?
>Any hunches appreciated.

HI Rog...yes I made a few bricks and they are still drying..made some with
just clay/chips....my concern is what would you mortar with?

I am not sure I like this stuff for bricks...may be too weak in EQ country
for movement..monolithic 'feels' safer to me, ie poured wall and bricks are
so dang much trouble>> make, dry, turn out, tuner over,  pick up, break
fingernails,  mortar, level, repeat x 9,004 or so....:>

The  bricks are a bit heavier than the FC ones, but I can still manage them OK

>Which reminds me -- if anyone wants communication with the building I
>mentioned (or rather, it's owner/occupiers), I imagine they'd be on an
>email address.  I could prolly track it down.
>
>Cheers, Rog.

YES!! I absolutely want to talk with them...I am now hounding the regional
woods expert on the Madrone sawdust I am using..plus I picked up some Fir
sawdust today..smells nicer than madrone..looks the same.

I mixed two kinds...Madrone and Redwood and got a better 'sculptable'
blend...the grainy one and the chippy one held together well.

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build'

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/