Cob mortar

Jud Malone jmalone at boydmaier.com
Thu Oct 8 14:41:38 CDT 1998

I'm in the midst of building a stone foundation for a cob house.  Up to this point I've been laying the stones dry(I haven't reached ground level yet and my foundation trench is about 2 1/2 feet deep).  But I was thinking that I would use mortar once I reach ground level in order to keep drafts and critters out.  My first question is: how useful is mortar for keeping out drafts and critters?  Could I just plaster over the stone on the inside of the building once I'm done with the same effect?  My other question is: has anybody used cob for mortar, and how well does it work?  Thanks in advance.

Jud Malone