Cob mortar

Paul Valerio valeri at io.com
Thu Oct 8 17:09:50 CDT 1998

Jud Malone wrote:

>  I'm in the midst of building a stone foundation for a cob house.  Up
> to this point I've been laying the stones dry(I haven't reached ground
> level yet and my foundation trench is about 2 1/2 feet deep).  But I
> was thinking that I would use mortar once I reach ground level in
> order to keep drafts and critters out.  My first question is: how
> useful is mortar for keeping out drafts and critters?  Could I just
> plaster over the stone on the inside of the building once I'm done
> with the same effect?  My other question is: has anybody used cob for
> mortar, and how well does it work?  Thanks in advance. Jud Malone

Jud,

I'm totally excited for you!  I for one would appreciate an occasional
report on your progress.  I still don't have the nerve to go do it
myself--I just don't know where to do it.
I was just thinking the other day that there hasn't been much activity
on the list, and not only that but there really aren't too many people
actually building--most of us are still dreaming and planning.  So three
cheers for Jud!

pv