Cob keyhole

diane Forman u1019721 at warwick.net
Mon Oct 5 06:14:09 CDT 1998

<BASE HREF="file:///C|/WINDOWS/Profiles/diane/Desktop/New Folder (2)/roatan-Do not delete-forward only.htm">

Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:23:15 -0400
From: xxx <u1020872 at warwick.net>
To: windward at warwick.net
Subject: ROATAN-Do not delete-forward only

"People deserve to live in gentle, loving
  environments where aliveness, delight & joy are
  the norm.  Anything less would be an insult to the human spirit."

>    -Dr. Michael Ryce
>
> TRAVELING TRADESMEN & ARTISANS WANTED
> for cooperative venture in a tropical paradise.
>
> Semi-retired historic restoration experts with several acres on Roatan,
> in the Bay Islands of Honduras, right on a marine reserve, have begun to
create a self sufficient ecoversity for tradesmen and artisans.

  This is a "from the grounds up" project.  We are seeking input on all
levels, including (but not limited to) infrastructure, cob construction,
adobe construction, solar technology, waste management systems (i.e.
compost toilets and gray and
> black water systems), free form timber framing for roof systems, tiling,
> indoor and outdoor gardening and landscaping, interior design, winemaking, etc. with an eye toward a self-sufficient learning and exchange center.
>
> Our first building design is a unique 4000 square foot adobe
> multi-functional building (housing a microwinery) with vaulted rooms and
> archways.  There will be several smaller structures built in the
> traditional architectural style indigenous to this Island.
>
> The basic concept is to invite several highly skilled tradesmen
/craftsmen/artisans to the Island and have them stay during the
> winter months for an agreed upon period of time in trade for sharing
> their knowledge and labor with us so that we may build a unique haven and
> learning center.  In time, after the community is built, the participants would
> come down to the Island and teach workshops in their craft as a joint venture
or in partial trade for their stay on the Island.

> We feel that integrating the knowledge of these several special
> individuals to the native people of the Island would benefit them,
> as they would be exposed to new, ecologically sound technology.  The
> participants, in turn, would have a community to return to for vacation
> and/or to teach workshops which they arrange, and would themselves have
> an opportunity to meet other craftsmen and artisans from around the
> world.
>
> We believe in community, and want to create the quality of life we have
> longed for, while living simply and facilitating a continuous learning
> experience for all involved.
>
> If you are like-minded, have a skill to offer and some time this winter, feel
an interest or have a comment, idea or any input as to this plan, we
would love
you to e-mail us.