Cob mortar

Dr. Ann Hernandez drann at flash.net
Mon Oct 12 14:01:58 CDT 1998

Hello All:   I've been lurking here for some time, but this is my first
attempt to post.  I am really interested in seeing the response to Jud
Malone's question, especially concerning keeping the critters out.  I'm
going to be trying to use some natural building techniques in the southwest,
and laugh if you will, but I'm curious to learn whether mice and other
critters can and do munch through such things as unfired adobe bricks and
cob walls.  Thanks!  Ann

> I'm in the midst of building a stone foundation for a cob house.  Up to
this point I've been laying the stones dry(I haven't reached ground level
yet and my foundation trench is about 2 1/2 feet deep).  But I was thinking
that I would use mortar once I reach ground level in order to keep drafts
and critters out.  My first question is: how useful is mortar for keeping
out drafts and critters?  Could I just plaster over the stone on the inside
of the building once I'm done with the same effect?  My other question is:
has anybody used cob for mortar, and how well does it work?  Thanks in
advance.