Cob Re: Off-topic Earthen Floor

HandyM2 at aol.com HandyM2 at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 08:29:01 CDT 1998

<< I'm wondering if anyone still uses manure.  I would think the fibers would
help a lot to prevent cracking, which seems to be a constant problem from what
I've been reading.  Would it lower the pH and work against the lime?

 Lootvik

Welllllll.....  Actually IIRC the use of Lime creates a form of cement.  As
this is what the Romans used to build those neat structures STILL STANDING (I
wonder if anything we build will last so long <G>) I donot feel cracking to be
a issue.

Manure is very Acid and would indeed work aganst the Lime.  I personally would
seek else where for a source of fibre for my flooring ASSUMING there was a
need for it.

Claxa do we need fibre in this flooring project?  I am assuming this person is
building a home with normal loading Vs a Factory floor with heavy point loads.

Michael