Cob Clay, Fibers, & FC

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Oct 21 04:50:57 CDT 1998

>Bob,
>
>I have been building cold frames in the backyard with different techniques
>to be able to evaluate
>performance and to push the envelope where possible.
>
>One mixture I used to try to lighten up Cob was cellulose insulation. The
>mixture was something like 2pt sand, 1 pt clay, 1/2 pt slaked lime, 1 pt
>cellulose(dry) and straw. This held together well.
>I am mostly interested in cob in non load bearing applications.
>
>Chuck Learned

Hi Chuck...what are you meaning as 'slaked lime'?  if it is Type N,
hydrate, dry in a bag, then it has already been slaked.

if you get quicklime and slake it, then  that is different.

putting dry lime (bagged S or N) is not slaking, it is  just wetting and
making into a putty or slurry.

quicklime is impossible to get by the average person, but the bagged stuff
will work for most mixes as I understand it.

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build'

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/