Cob Re: Dumpster Diving for Fun and Profit!

spencers bardsong at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 25 21:58:54 CST 1998

And on a last note I'd like to let you all in on a not-so-secrect
secrect, but not alot talked about subject: Dumpster Diving. Yeah I
know, it's dirty and germy..well, wear gloves and shower afterwards!
Anyways, we have ammassed a HUGE chunk of our building supplies in a
short time while driving around at night (and sometimes day) and
relieving dumpsters of their landfill-destined treasures. We have found
windows, tons of lumber(also at building sites' scrap piles), some
wiring(new in boxes still), conduit, ceramic tile and marble (enough to
do a kitchen and bath so far), tools, and even stereo equiptment,
weedwackers, dollys, you-name-it. Some things that we can't use go to
pawn shops and collected funds put into the land account. It's become a
second job of sorts but has paid very well thus far. You would not
believe what some companies toss into the trash!
So when you're on your way to the store to BUY something you need for
the homestead, try checking the dumpsters on the way, you may even find
what you were going to buy.

Biggest offenders:
Staples office supply, any office supply for that matter.
Pier One or any home furnishings joint.
Service Merchandise.
Floor Stores.
Shoe Stores. Grab some buddies to get dirty in.

Shawn