Cob Ferro-cement roofs?

Jud Malone jmalone at boydmaier.com
Mon Oct 26 10:02:10 CST 1998

Hello everyboby, has anyone had any experience using ferro-cement to make a roof?  I just read an article on the Homesteading.org page about it.  It seems like the flexibility of ferro-cement(cement and chicken wire, in this case, no rebar) would be ideal for a cob house utilizing round logs as beams and rafters.  The key word is "flexibility," I just hate making exact measurements.  Just this last weekend, we built a 10x15 shed roof out of galvanized steel, and it was a problem getting everything lined up and square what with using round poles.  So right about now ferro-cement is looking good to me!  My property is heavily wooded, and we are in the process of thinning the trees out at the house site.  So I want to utilize these young trees (mostly beech) if I can.  Ferro-cement can also be used for making cisterns.  My fantasy is to have a ferro-cement roof catch the rainwater and send it to a ferro-cement cistern underground.  Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Oh yeah, and as an update: we are still working on the foundation for our first cob building and I have decided to go with using cob mortar once the rocks reach ground level.  I sure am glad we built the roof for the shed last weekend before we built the roof over the cob building, we learned alot.  What I plan on doing is, once the foundation is done, to build the roof (20x18) before cobbing up the walls.  If anyone has any opinions or experience with that, feel free to share it.

Thanks, Jud