Cob Ferro-cement-Lime in clay

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Oct 26 03:24:46 CST 1998

   Oh yeah, and as an update: we are still working  on the foundation for
our first cob building and I have decided to go with using  cob mortar once
the rocks reach ground level.&nbsp  If anyone has any  opinions or
experience with that, feel free to share it.  Thanks, Jud
\
***********
Jud, on cob mortar....any reason why you didn't consider adding lime to the
cob or making a  clay/lime slurry as a cement?

If there is lime in the ratio you will achieve a stonelike natural cement
over time, bonding well with the foundation rocks and provided many
benefits (disenfectant to bugs/mold/mildew) and allowing for wicking of any
mosture against the foundation, while maintaing strength.

You can use a store bought hydrated type n bag lime, mix 1:3 lime:clay
(dry) and test some premade batches to see  Harry (CALXA) recommend curing
small blocks at 140 degrees in the oven for 24 hours to get a 90 day dry
cure result example. try it before you get to the use stage, then decide,
it may provide more long term protectiion than straght cob.

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build'

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/