Cob Ferro-cement roofs?

Patrick Newberry goshawk at gnat.net
Mon Oct 26 06:46:47 CST 1998

Now we went thru this definition before, but if by ferro-cement you mean
paper-pulp and cement, no,
but I am using Tar paper, chicken wire, my sandy soil and cement for our roof.
So far I'm working on the dome portion of it, but will use it for other areas
as well. My reasons are:
1. It's cheaper than most other options.
2. It more fire resisitant than most other roofs.
3. It's easier to deal with odd shaped roofs.

So far it's been working pretty good.
I got some of my ideas from Ken Kerns book 'The owner Built Home' and the
chapter on Masonary roofs.

I guess my building style is developing into use of cement in the Hat and shoe
portion of a building, but in between, I try to stick with more with earth than
anything else.

Pat
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk

> Hello everyboby, has anyone had any experience using ferro-cement to make
 a roof?  I just read an article on the Homesteading.org page about it.  It
seems like the flexibility of ferro-cement(cement >
> Oh yeah, and as an update: we are still working on the foundation for our
 first cob building and I have decided to go with using cob mortar once the
rocks reach ground level.  I sure am glad we built>
> Thanks, Jud

"There is No Hope, but I may be wrong."