Cob Ferro-cement-Lime in clay

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Sat Oct 31 03:55:03 CST 1998

> I was wondering how much protection it would give against some larger
> wild animals... like bear... if a bear had in mind to push against or dig
> through would it be successful??  ...any ideas on this??

In Devon there is a very long history of cob barns and similar used to
house cattle. I'd expect that doors, gates, windows, etc. are more likely
targets for wild and domestics animals of all types and sizes.  Of course a
barn wall is going to be about 2 foot thick.

One thing I have noticed on my own and other old cob houses is an area
which has been worn away at the corners of the house at cow height.  A
century or more of cows passing on their way to milking will give the wall
an interesting shape, doesn't seem to have done any serious harm though.
 One standard device on old buildings is a large stone placed at the bottom
of any corner where traffic (carts) might pass to stop them hitting the
wall.  For those of you that tend to drive cars into walls, it might be
prudent to put kerbstones or similar at the base of walls, especially at
corners.

Michael Saunby