Cob Re: lime:clay ratio

crtaylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Oct 26 13:27:14 CST 1998

>At 10:24 AM 10/26/98 +0100, you (crtaylor) wrote:
>>
>>You can use a store bought hydrated type n bag lime, mix 1:3 lime:clay
>>(dry) and test some premade batches to see
>Charmaine,
>
>Are you sure the lime/clay mix has no aggregrate (sand) in it?

Hi Mark, yes,  I went by what I am reading from experts, and today did a
series of experiments with 1:3, to 1:9 lime:clay to see.

The 1"3  mix got hard so fast my mixing spoon bent. ha...so lime does dry
up/suck up water fast.

I do expect minor cracks at those ratios, but  am intersted to see what the
sawdust will do as a wall/building/sculpting material.

If adding a small % of sand will make a non cracking surface then it should
be done if someone wasnts a smooth thin surface. On my bench I am using a
lot of various recipies just to practice and see how they perform.

Yes I am sure there is no sand...the woodchips replace the sand,
esentially, as I am not making mortar or plaster, but building material.

A finish coat will have sand in the mix and be a plaster.

Charmaine R. Taylor
Taylor Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 6985 Eureka CA 95502  1-888-307-7650
'Books for people who want to build'

http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/