Cob Kitchen For Wood cook Stove

Jud Malone jmalone at boydmaier.com
Tue Oct 27 07:44:02 CST 1998

>We are pre-beginners in the area of cob building...  Getting ready to
>build a kitchen addition to house a wood cook stove and hot water use
>area. Has anyone added a room for this use and attached it to a
>traditional type building?  How fireproof is cob?  Would I need a
>separate chimney of brick or stainless steel or can cob be used for the
>chimney?
>
>Adria, in North Carolina

Cob can definitely be used for the chimney as well as the stove.  I saw a
guy build a cob masonry stove that worked like a charm, it drew great even
before the flue was built.  You've probably seen those beehive ovens that
some folks use to bake bread and such in--those are cob.  I want to try
building a wood cookstove out of cob(for the main body and oven) and scrap
plate steel set in the top for the stove-top.  An old woodstove door would
work for the oven door.  Hope this helps.

Jud