Cob Mendocino owner builder code

Otherfish at aol.com Otherfish at aol.com
Tue Nov 17 23:18:51 CST 1998

this is a response to a discussion w/ penny livingston that I felt might be of
intrest to the list
penny

<<the Owner Builder Code. Is that the same

as Class K? My understanding was that Class K was more of an experimental

code>>

Class K in Mendocino is an Owner Builder Code & is intended to allow folks to
build their own structures while avoiding some of the costly things
potentiallty resulting from the full blown UBC requirements
- folks can build it themselves or have a builder do the work
-it's not an experimental code per se, just allows broader choices than the
code strictures of approved materials & methods
-however, in the case of cob, since the Mendocino County Building Dept. didn't
know cob from a pile of mud, they required that the owner duilder in this
initial case have a design professional (licensed architect (me in this case)
or engineer ) sign off on the plans
-probably once a few Class K cob structures get built in the county & the
inspectors learn what its all about, then they will stop requiring a
professional's involvement (read ass guard here)
-at least thats something to hope for
- one requirement of building under Class K is that the house not be sold for
a period of something like three years or so
- this is (I guess) to prevent developers from using Class K as a way to
subvert the code intent of protecting the public by imposing certain quality
standards on the construction industry
-all kinds of potential value judgement & opinion discussions possible about
this last statement, however let's avoid those for now !!

-if you have a fax machine or fax in your computer send me the number & I'll
fax you a copy of the Mendocino Class K Code

regards
john fordice
otherfish at aol.com