Cob stability/windows

Andrew Felger FA9795 at mail.northland.edu
Mon Nov 23 11:48:44 CST 1998

hello,
I am beginning to plan the blueprints for our cob shed at Northland
College.  I am hoping for advice on the walls and windows.  I know
that curved walls are the most stable but if the walls have to be
straight is it best to put in buttresses or to angle the walls at
each other?  Any other suggestions?  As well I have questions about
the windows.  We are using a timber frame most likely and I am
wondering if we should nail the window frame to the timber frame and
cob around it, just stick the window straight in the frame or is it
more complicated or (hopefully) easier?  Any suggestions there
either?

Does anybody have any experience with cob structures in the
northwoods.  This is where our shed will go.  We are in Ashland
Wisconsin, at the very top of Wiscinsin about a mile from Lake
Superior.  If anybody has any advice  pertaining to this geographical
area I would love to here from ypu, or if you are in the area I would
love to get together with you, maybe even work out a workshop uop
here on campus if you would be willing.

Thanks
Andy Felger