Cob Hot water pipes in cob walls?

mpayson at eskimo.com mpayson at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 16 08:45:34 CST 1998

I wouldn't use plastic pipes. In this case, you *want* the pipes to lose heat--
that's the whole point-- so the better insulation of the plastic pipes would
defeat the purpose. I suspect that you'll be fine...

One thing I would do is put the pipes only an inch or so deep. That helps two
ways-- first, you want the heat radiated inwards as much as possible, so putting
the pipes close to the inside wall will reduce heat loss. Second, in the event of
a leak, you'll likely notice it before any substantial damage occurs.

You might want to go with flexible coper tubing as opposed to rigid pipes. That
way, you'll have much fewer joints, thereby reducing the potential of leaks.

Please keep me up-to-date on your results. I'm not building for quite a while, so
I'd love to know how it works for you.

Mike

PS. One more idea: You might try to figure out a way to actually have the hot
water circulating through the pipes as you lay the cob. That'll help not only by
expanding the pipes, so they won't cause damage by exapnding, but it will also
speed the cob drying, so might help you work faster. Probably not worth the
hassle, but might be an interesting idea.

--
~~     mailto:mpayson at eskimo.com     ~~
~Alternative Homebuilding Book Reviews~