Cob Hot water pipes in cob walls?

Speireag Alden speireag at linguist.dartmouth.edu
Sun Dec 20 05:40:13 CST 1998

Sgrìobh John Straube:

> On Friday, December 18, 1998 4:10 AM, Norbert Senf [SMTP:mheat at mha-net.org]
> wrote:
> There are several, if not many, slim-line (1-1/4" thick) baseboard type hot
> water heaters.  These have a lot of advantages, but I am not sure if they

    One thought occurred to me as I read this discussion.  If you're
building with cob, and you have a 24-inch base to the wall, it would be
trivial to leave, or carve out, an indentation in which you could install
such a slim baseboard heater.  The heater would be flush with the wall, and
the air rising off of it would warm the wall.

    Baseboard heaters always annoy me because they stick out.  It'd be nice
to be able to put them back into the wall.

    However, you still lose the floor as a comfortable radiating surface,
and you still have proportionally greater heat loss to the outside, since
you're heating the wall.

    On straw bale walls you could probably do the same thing, with an
impermeable layer between the baseboard and a thin interior layer of
stucco.  Leaks would be to the inside and would not damage the straw, but
you would warm the wall as before, and you might even alleviate high
humidity in that problem bottom wall area, at least during the heating
season, by putting a little heat into the bottom of the wall.

-Speireag.
Speireag Alden, aka Joshua Macdonald Alden
Joshua.M.Alden.91 at alum.dartmouth.org
Usually found somewhere in the wilds of New Hampshire.
Nach sgrìobhaidh thugam 'sa Gàidhlig?