Cob verify?

HandyM2 at aol.com HandyM2 at aol.com
Sat Dec 19 14:03:23 CST 1998

Nice to get a reply from one who really lives in a Cob House.  Thanks Michael
from Devonshire!  <G>

<< This statement about fibreglass - or any other - insulation in English cob
 homes is probably untrue.  It might be true that a fair number of old
 properties in England both cob, stone and even brick have been "tanked" to
 prevent damp penetration but insulation is something the English tend to
 neglect.

I Thank you for saying "probably untrue" as that leaves a possablilty that I
have indeed lived for a short while in such Cob with Fibreglas Insulated
places.  It is a pity that English tend to neglect Insulation.

 I suppose the truth is that England has a pretty reasonable climate for
 humans (English ones anyway, I've noticed some visitors are wearing wool
 scarves and gloves already), it rarely gets too hot and air-conditioning is
 found only in public buildings, workplaces, hotels and guesthouses.  In
 workplaces, etc. because the windows don't work and in hotels, etc. because
 it's a cheaper way of getting your grading increased than serving decent
 food! Central heating however is common, but often not very good (esp in
 hotels and offices).  Hell, carpeted bathrooms are very common in England -
 there's just no way to explain that!

>VeryBigWildGrin<  Yes indeed.  Cold is a matter of personal choice.  I too
wore woolies while visiting your green and fair land.  Even your military
barracks were rather on the unclimate adjusted side.  And that was the
Barracks for visiting Yanks!

 I'll admit that my cob farmhouse would be an absolute sod if I had to leave
 it at 8am each morning and return at 6pm each evening in the winter because
 it would take hours to get up to a comfortable temperature. But it's a
 house for living in.

Some nonenglish would not perhaps realize that the term "Sod" is not a
complement.  I am unsure what you do, sir for a living however MOST Americans
are indeed forced to leave their homes at the early hours not to return untill
the late evening.  Thus the situation of getting all that Thermal Mass back up
to confort levels can be a bit of a "Sod".  <G>

The truth of the matter is that in winter we heat the
 rooms downstairs we use to about 70F and after 10 hours or so overnight
 when we don't heat it the temperature is down to about 60F.  I'm quite
 happy with that.  The same degree of natural heating occurs during the
 summer with peak daytime temperatures being spread over many hours and of
 course with all that thermal inertia you can throw the windows wide open in
 the middle of winter for some fresh air without losing all your heat 'cos
 it's trapped in the walls.  In the summer, well this year it just rained
 all the time, but normally the temperature never gets above 70F, even when
 its 90F outside.  Location, as well as climate probably makes a difference,
 cob is obviously good at keeping out draughts, but it a wet climate like
 Devon I expect a reasonably exposed location with decent drainage an a
 strong breeze makes life more pleasant.  BTW the roof is thatched.

I already noted freely that the English and others were more tolerant of
"Natural Temperatures" with in their houses.  A lot of Americans however feel
a need for more perfect temperature control than possable with windows thrown
open and such.

 In the end though its a matter of faith.  I'm sure a scientific proof of
 how good cob is would convince some, but then the fans of concrete tower
 blocks were able to justify their creations because they "saved" the green
 space in between them.  Wow, what a great way to save the planet.  It's all
 just fashion in the end.  Best to just do what feels right, you only get
 one life, no point living someone else's dream (or science).  Pick your own
 there are loads to choose from.

AMEN.  I like your tolerance.

 Michael Saunby

 Devon, England.