Cob verify?

Michael Saunby mike at Chook.Demon.Co.UK
Sat Dec 19 12:08:00 CST 1998

On 19 December 1998 13:53, HandyM2 at aol.com [SMTP:HandyM2 at aol.com] wrote:
> With respect, I disagree.  Indeed I find Broad Statements to be generally
> false, Including this one <G>
>
> The same but in reverse occurs in a cold climate.  I have visited and
lived in
> Cob Structures in England.  I can assure you that the vast majority of
them
> have been refitted with Stick walls to maintain Fibreglas Insulation,
Decent
> Heating systems (although I fear our english friends have a more robust
idea
> of confort than most of us Americans <G>) and in some places even A/C as
the
> ambient temperature made the Cob home too sticky hot for confort.

This statement about fibreglass - or any other - insulation in English cob
homes is probably untrue.  It might be true that a fair number of old
properties in England both cob, stone and even brick have been "tanked" to
prevent damp penetration but insulation is something the English tend to
neglect.

I suppose the truth is that England has a pretty reasonable climate for
humans (English ones anyway, I've noticed some visitors are wearing wool
scarves and gloves already), it rarely gets too hot and air-conditioning is
found only in public buildings, workplaces, hotels and guesthouses.  In
workplaces, etc. because the windows don't work and in hotels, etc. because
it's a cheaper way of getting your grading increased than serving decent
food! Central heating however is common, but often not very good (esp in
hotels and offices).  Hell, carpeted bathrooms are very common in England -
there's just no way to explain that!

I'll admit that my cob farmhouse would be an absolute sod if I had to leave
it at 8am each morning and return at 6pm each evening in the winter because
it would take hours to get up to a comfortable temperature. But it's a
house for living in. The truth of the matter is that in winter we heat the
rooms downstairs we use to about 70F and after 10 hours or so overnight
when we don't heat it the temperature is down to about 60F.  I'm quite
happy with that.  The same degree of natural heating occurs during the
summer with peak daytime temperatures being spread over many hours and of
course with all that thermal inertia you can throw the windows wide open in
the middle of winter for some fresh air without losing all your heat 'cos
it's trapped in the walls.  In the summer, well this year it just rained
all the time, but normally the temperature never gets above 70F, even when
its 90F outside.  Location, as well as climate probably makes a difference,
cob is obviously good at keeping out draughts, but it a wet climate like
Devon I expect a reasonably exposed location with decent drainage an a
strong breeze makes life more pleasant.  BTW the roof is thatched.

In the end though its a matter of faith.  I'm sure a scientific proof of
how good cob is would convince some, but then the fans of concrete tower
blocks were able to justify their creations because they "saved" the green
space in between them.  Wow, what a great way to save the planet.  It's all
just fashion in the end.  Best to just do what feels right, you only get
one life, no point living someone else's dream (or science).  Pick your own
there are loads to choose from.

Michael Saunby

Devon, England.