Cob More Tax Man Goodies

Paul & Mary Salas chansey at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 19 20:18:45 CST 1998

Hi and Happy Hoildays,

I haven't been off-line--just sick (as in v-e-r-y sick)with the flu for
almost three weeks. If I neglected to respond to anyone's e-Mail, please
e-Mail me again and I'll be glad to answer your questions.

I attended the Deliquent Tax Auction for Sandoval County, N.M. City of
Rio Rancho on December 1 & 2 and purchased 3 parcels (1.5 acres) for
$11,900 with power and water available and v-e-r-y close to major paved
roads. I will be putting up a temporary 5 bdrm mobile home on a 1/2 ac
lot and build a home on the other one acre parcel (160 x 272.5).

I knew that none of the parcels were going to be $10 bargains as I had
previously purchased at the Otero County auction. The low bid at this
auction was $400 to a high $8,500 for a 1/2 acre lot in a developed
area. I was surprised at the number of women who were active bidders.
Spoke to a few about their purpose and most were speculating on future
growth and the resounding theme I heard was, "How can I go wrong when
the minimun for a 1/2 acre lot in the area is $25,000" (avg purchase
price was $900-$1800). Who am I to argue with such sound logic!! Way to
go ladies.  I can't wait to get my 10 year old daughter started. She's
already watching the stock market (I buy and sell daily) and I'll be
purchasing some stock for her for Christmas just to chum the water to
see if she remains intersted.

If you are currently landless and feel that you can not EVER purchase
land or own a conventional home, Tax Sales and Tax Liens can get your
foot in the door. The biggest obstacle is fear---- 1) fear or the
process,  2)fear of bidding and 3) fear of not knowing how much to pay.
Usually there are two kinds of bidders at these auctions.
Speculators/investors and those that want to build or make a personal
purchase with a specific purpose in mind. Remember, everyone will be
buying well below wholesale. The investor will quit when he/she has
reached a point where the cost is approximate to the other properties in
their inventory or based on current market conditions. The individual
making a personal purchase will have to pay a higher price in order to
make a acquisition. My most recent purchases fall into this category--I
wanted specific lots and I paid accordingly.

The cost of utilties must also be taken into consideration. In the area
where I bought, electric service is $12.50 per ft (where available) and
water wells are in the range of $15-20 per ft and most wells are
900-1000 ft. I offset these costs because I did my homework and knew
where utilities were available and so did quite a few others.

After the first of the year I will be moving onto the property and will
be building an adobe/cob home using the machine I have designed and
currently under construction. I will also be utilizing my "stuff" as
M.J.  (TLS) calls it for the exterior render. Hopefully I will have time
to get a WEB site up with pics and such of the machine and pics of the
building in progess.  I'll even include pics of those $10 lots I
purchased in Timberon last month.

Take care, good fortune and enjoy your holidays.

Paul & Mary Salas
SANCO Enterprises
Albuq., N.M.