Cob insulation vs Thermal mass

HandyM2 at aol.com HandyM2 at aol.com
Sat Dec 19 11:39:37 CST 1998

Interesting Pecos, however please remember that air flow is reduced by air
resistance.  Ask your local Ductwork person to confirm.

<< Another idea I have brainstormed would be to use duck tape and cans to
build
 pipes into the walls.

A lot of potental resistance in this approach.  Ductwork piping is not that
expensive, esp givent he cost for all that Duct Tape.  <G>

Air could be forced into the system mechanically or
 possibly by convection from solar collectors. In the winter a solar
 collector located below the wall would cause warm rising air to be pushed
 into the system. In the summer pipes buried in the earth could could provide
 cool air lifted through walls by thermal chimneys on the roof or just pulled
 out by a heating attic. These systems could be relatively maintenance free.
 Even a mechanical system enhanced by wood, gas, or electrical energy could
 be fairly simple and safe.

It is workable given your next concept of insulation of the heated/cooled
mass. I'd aslo be careful with combustion heat sources to make sure ONLY
heated air is going into your Heating pipework.  I'd hate to hear that CO or
Carbon Monoxide was seeping into your living quarters during the season we
keep windows closed.

 Again this system would seem to benefit most if put into a wall mass that is
 effectively insulated.
 Pecos >>

Yes!!  However to remember the insulation needs to be on the OUTSIDE of the
structure.  Thus the Thermal Mass is on the Living Side of the structure,
insluated from the temperature extremes of the outside.

Let me know how it succeeds.

Michael