Cob insulation vs Thermal mass

Larry Lindly llindly at CSWNET.COM
Sat Dec 19 10:02:36 CST 1998

>From the discussion so far I ponder that it might be more effective to put
more effort into insulating than trying to get more heat into the mass
through means such as water coils. Water coils could be a good idea but
might rank lower on a list return for efforts.
Another idea I have brainstormed would be to use duck tape and cans to build
pipes into the walls. Air could be forced into the system mechanically or
possibly by convection from solar collectors. In the winter a solar
collector located below the wall would cause warm rising air to be pushed
into the system. In the summer pipes buried in the earth could could provide
cool air lifted through walls by thermal chimneys on the roof or just pulled
out by a heating attic. These systems could be relatively maintenance free.
Even a mechanical system enhanced by wood, gas, or electrical energy could
be fairly simple and safe.
Again this system would seem to benefit most if put into a wall mass that is
effectively insulated.
Pecos